How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare London, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Snozelen Program: Our Snozelen Cart is an important tool used by our Behavioural Support Team to help resident with dementia connect with things, textures and activities from their past.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Pet Therapy : Through our St. John’s Ambulance Pet Therapy program, 3 therapy dogs visit our home twice weekly to spend time with residents.
- Young At Heart Program: Our Young At Heart Program focus on activities geared to our younger residents in their 60’s and 70’s.
- Cultural Day: Once monthly, we have a culturally themed day that features food, music, trivia and videos from different cultures including Italian, Portuguese, Polish and more.
- Men’s Luncheon: Once a month we have a men’s only club luncheon where they are free to discuss issues and engage in activities of interest to men.
- Live Entertainment: We have regular live entertainment from the community come in to entertain our residents.
- Monthly Birthday Party: At our monthly Birthday Party we celebrate our residents who are having birthdays that month.
- Intergenerational Program: In our Intergenerational Program, elementary students from a nearby school come to the home to play games, sing songs read books and more with residents. Even the most reclusive residents enjoy being able to interact with them.
- Centennial Party: We hold a Centennial Party once a year to celebrate residents who are 100 years old or more. Guests from City Hall come and present a certificate from the city.
- Physiotherapy Exercise Class: We also have twice-weekly physio exercise classes so residents can stay fit and flexible.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist